When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. In La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland the serving of Absinthe was done in the traditional manner. A person can learn “The Ritual” or “La Louche” without any difficulty.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. One must get the Absinthe having the thujone content.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one is required. AbsintheKit.com keeps a stock of replicas of antiques such as Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons.
– One must take a slotted Absinthe spoon.
– Necessity of a cube of sugar.
– It is good to use iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a carafe one can drip iced water over the sugar. The sugar dissolves by it’s slow dripping and drip from the opening of the spoon. A person can see a “louche” effect after mixing the water into the alcohol. The mixture becomes milky when added with water because the essential oils of the herbs in Absinthe are soluble in alcohol but not in water.
– The Green Fairy, Absinthe is good to enjoy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is disliked by lots of Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Utility of an Absinthe glass
– Importance of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– One can utilize a cube of sugar
– Use a lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon on the rim of the glass after placing sugar cube on it.
– The sugar will caramelize and melt by keeping it alight for one minute. A person will need a spoon to drip sugar into the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– This is the way of enjoying Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway always mixed it with champagne, he called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
A large number of legends, mysteries and stories are there encircling different aspects of Absinthe. This famous mythical drink can be enjoyed like this.